Presented without comment
So, detractors, lemme see if I’ve got this straight. Patrick Troughton wanted this. Peter Davison wants this. Colin Baker wants this. Carole Ann Ford wants this. Louise Jameson wants this. Freema Agyeman wants this. Matt Smith wants this. Karen Gillan wants this. And now we have word that Sydney Newman, attributed with giving the show its lead’s name and basic mode of transport—the same man, I remind you, who hired a female showrunner in nineteen sixty-fucking-three—wanted this.
And somehow demanding a female Doctor is appropriation.
Here’s the original source for that fun fact. What I find most interesting is not just that Sydney Newman wanted the Doctor to be a woman, but that he wasn’t interested in making the female Doctor a gimmick. His letter says:
At a later stage Doctor Who should be metamorphosed into a woman. This requires some considerable thought – mainly because I want to avoid a flashy, Hollywood Wonder Women because this kind of heroine with no flaws is a bore. Given more time than I have now, I can create such a character.
Newman wanted a strong female character in every sense. He wanted her to be interesting, he wanted her to be complex, and he wanted her to be flawed.
So for all of you naysayers who think that a female Doctor would never be more than a ratings gimmick:
(Most of these are from the PSP game and drama CDs)
1. Sayaka can’t cook. Both Kyousuke and Madoka are aware of this.
2. In the first timeline, Mami is not fond of Moemura. She is jealous when Madoka spent more time with Homura and even got mad when Madoka gave her a cake that Madoka and Homura both collaborated on.
3. Speaking of which, Sayaka is also jealous of Homura being around Madoka and felt lonely. Hitomi notices this and the two began to hang out more.
4. Also, in the first timeline, Sayaka didn’t contract. But she catches Kyuubey’s eye while visiting Kyousuke. Apparently, Homura becoming a magical girl is what triggered her to become a magical girl in later timelines.
5. In the extra route, Sayaka notes that Hitomi should be a magical girl like the rest of them. Madoka says that she doesn’t seem to need a miracle in her life.
6. Before she became a magical girl, Mami had a wonderful family, many good friends, and wished that her happiness would continue.
7. (First Timeline) Kyouko comes back to Mitakihara even if Mami didn’t die. She says she’s here to hunt witches, but really to see Mami and hopefully rebuild a relationship with her. Unfortunately, she mentions wanting to see Mami’s new kouhai (Madoka) which leads to Mami being protective, assuming Kyouko will hurt her. Kyouko goes back to Kasamino afterwards.
8. (Anime Timeline (fourth??) While looking for Sayaka (the moment before Sayaka goes witch), Kyouko runs into a guy who flirted with her (calling her cute, telling her he knows somewhere they can go…). She brushes him away, until he offers to help. Kyouko asked if he saw a middle school girl around and when he said no, she left.
9. (First Timeline) Kyouko beat up a gang twice; 1) When they were bullying some kid, 2) When they tried to invade the abandoned church to make it their hideout.
10. Homura apparently looks and acts just like Junko when Junko was little.
11. (First timeline) Amy the cat was the one who lead Homura to Madoka when she died to Walpurgis Night. Before this, Madoka told Homura to stay at home because of ‘a typhoon.’ Technically, because of Amy, Homura made the contract to become a magical girl and save Madoka.
12. Homura and Mami both make good grades in school. (Homura…because of time powers probably) Madoka (as well as Hitomi) also make good grades. Sayaka almost always fails (she also sleeps alot in class.).
13. Kyouko can’t swim. This brings her witch form Ophelia and the And I’m Home picture to a new light. Sayaka and Mami tried to teach her to swim in the fourth Drama CD
(which is uploaded and subbed by me on YT. Go check it out~)
14. Mami’s mentorship with Kyouko is much closer and friendly than with Madoka, Sayaka, and Homura. Maybe she distanced herself after that betrayal?
15. Mami had to learn how to make muskets out of ribbons through books and learning. She did this when she couldn’t save a boy from a witch and strove to become stronger to protect people. Unfortunately, she was only capable of making muskets. More powerful, complex guns were out of her ability.
16. Sayaka is the tallest of the magical girls, (then Mami, Kyouko, Homura, and Madoka) but Hitomi is still taller than her. (sorry, made a mistake…Kyouko is 156-158 cm while Mami is 156-159 cm)
17. Sayaka is well-liked and popular in her class.
18. Kyousuke taught Sayaka how to hold a violin.
19. In one past timeline, as shown in the anime, Oktavia’s barrier had guitar themes instead of violin. Actually, in ‘most’ of the timelines, Kyousuke was actually a guitarist. When Sayaka said that people were surprised when she knew about Classical music, and that Kyousuke was the reason she gave it a try, it was because she was ‘supposed’ to be interested in rock music.
20. According to the production notes, the ends of Goddess Madoka’s hair should never be seen/shown.
Yay more sad things (except for Madokami’s hair)
Read it once through, then without the brackets, then only the brackets.
(It took such a long time to write though)
THE NINE CHOIRS OF HEAVEN. An info-graphic for my editorial class and god am I thankful it’s done. Way too much went into this than what I had time for, but hey… I actually kind of like it?
Now excuse me, I must return to my fashion major lifestyle and go sew a coat u_u
EDIT: Re-uploaded with easier viewing!
man angel lore is so fascinating. esp with seraphim cherubim and thrones because there’s like a bajillion different interpretations and orderings. like a lot of the time thrones are on top and are presented as either god’s literal throne or the wheels of his chariot. man just mythic lore in general is so cool i love mythic lore this is great i love it
my first thought this morning was “count olaf should have been more thoroughly checked by social services”
Wow, this makes folds and wind blown things a lot more clear!
Oh wow I was looking for something like this lately oAO
Oh Christ reblogging this for myself.
Ethiopian girl guarded from gang rape & assault by three lions.
“The girl had been taken by seven men who wanted to force her to marry one of them. She was beaten repeatedly. Then the lions chased off her captors. The three lions guarded her for about half a day. They stood guard until we found her and then they just left her like a gift and went back into the forest.”
Then, Stuart Williams (the local wildlife ‘expert’) suggests that perhaps the lions mistook the 12 year old girl’s cries for a lion cub. Which seems awfully silly, considering that lions are perfectly capable of telling apart the gazelles they eat from their own cubs, aren’t they?
if fuckin lions know that rape is bad then so should you
I have an idea son, why don’t we drive to the nearest cliff and see if the law of gravity applies to you.
British Mailman Meets a Very Friendly Cat
Okay, I officially declare that nothing hurts.
This is the opposite of a problem.
there is zero rotational motion in this picture
every single one of the dots is oscillating on a straight line
I stared at this for a good 5 minutes before reblogging
#also can we talk about #the degree to which mako comes rolling back OUT of her room #with that extra little head tip #and the way she is being very very very clear #to make sure she fucking articulates a series of sounds that that don’t come easy to a native speaker of Japanese #because she fucking wants raleigh to hear what she’s saying #and his little eye shift of #OH SHIT I BEST LISTEN #AND THEN HER STERN LITTLE SCAN OF HIS FACE #AND HER LITTLE SYNCHED BLINK AND HEAD NOD TO CONVEY JUST HOW SERIOUS SHE IS ABOUT THIS #seriously look at her #that is a lady who knows how to make herself clear #and has no hesitance in doing so when she cares #and I can’t even #WE DON’T HAVE TO JUST OBEY HIM #IT’S NOT OBEDIENCE MR BECKET #IT’S RESPECT #GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOD